What is the Typical Recommended Length of a Personal Statement.
Welcome to the Purdue OWL
This folio is brought to you by the OWL at Purdue Academy. When printing this page, you must include the entire legal notice.
Copyright ©1995-2018 by The Writing Lab & The OWL at Purdue and Purdue University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, reproduced, circulate, rewritten, or redistributed without permission. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our terms and conditions of fair utilise.
Writing the Personal Statement
This handout provides information about writing personal statements for academic and other positions.
The personal statement, your opportunity to sell yourself in the application process, generally falls into one of two categories:
ane. The general, comprehensive personal statement:
This allows you lot maximum liberty in terms of what you write and is the blazon of statement oftentimes prepared for standard medical or law school application forms.
ii. The response to very specific questions:
Oftentimes, business concern and graduate school applications ask specific questions, and your statement should answer specifically to the question being asked. Some business schoolhouse applications favor multiple essays, typically asking for responses to iii or more questions.
Questions to ask yourself earlier you write:
- What’s special, unique, distinctive, and/or impressive well-nigh y’all or your life story?
- What details of your life (personal or family problems, history, people or events that accept shaped you or influenced your goals) might assist the committee better understand you or help set yous apart from other applicants?
- When did you become interested in this field and what have you learned well-nigh it (and nigh yourself) that has farther stimulated your interest and reinforced your conviction that yous are well suited to this field? What insights have you gained?
- How accept you learned about this field—through classes, readings, seminars, work or other experiences, or conversations with people already in the field?
- If yous have worked a lot during your college years, what have you learned (leadership or managerial skills, for example), and how has that piece of work contributed to your growth?
- What are your career goals?
- Are in that location any gaps or discrepancies in your bookish record that you should explain (groovy grades but mediocre LSAT or GRE scores, for example, or a distinct upward pattern to your GPA if information technology was simply boilerplate in the beginning)?
- Accept you had to overcome any unusual obstacles or hardships (for example, economic, familial, or physical) in your life?
- What personal characteristics (for example, integrity, compassion, and/or persistence) do you possess that would improve your prospects for success in the field or profession? Is there a manner to demonstrate or certificate that you have these characteristics?
- What skills (for example, leadership, chatty, analytical) do you possess?
- Why might you be a stronger candidate for graduate school—and more than successful and constructive in the profession or field than other applicants?
- What are the most compelling reasons you can give for the admissions committee to be interested in y’all?
Reply the questions that are asked
- If y’all are applying to several schools, you may discover questions in each application that are somewhat similar.
- Don’t be tempted to utilise the same statement for all applications. It is important to answer each question being asked, and if slightly unlike answers are needed, you should write separate statements. In every case, be sure your respond fits the question existence asked.
Tell a story
- Call back in terms of showing or demonstrating through concrete experience. One of the worst things you lot can practise is to bore the admissions committee. If your statement is fresh, lively, and different, you’ll be putting yourself ahead of the pack. If you distinguish yourself through your story, y’all will make yourself memorable.
- Don’t, for example, country that you lot would make an excellent doc unless yous can back it up with specific reasons. Your desire to become a lawyer, engineer, or whatever should be logical, the outcome of specific experience that is described in your statement. Your application should emerge equally the logical determination to your story.
Find an angle
- If you’re like virtually people, your life story lacks drama, then figuring out a way to make it interesting becomes the big challenge. Finding an angle or a “hook” is vital.
Concentrate on your opening paragraph
- The lead or opening paragraph is generally the well-nigh important. It is here that you grab the reader’s attention or lose it. This paragraph becomes the framework for the residue of the statement.
Tell what you know
- The centre section of your essay might particular your involvement and feel in your item field, as well as some of your knowledge of the field. Too many people graduate with little or no knowledge of the nuts and bolts of the profession or field they hope to enter. Be as specific equally you tin in relating what you know about the field and use the language professionals use in carrying this information. Refer to experiences (work, research, etc.), classes, conversations with people in the field, books y’all’ve read, seminars you’ve attended, or whatever other source of specific data nearly the career you want and why you lot’re suited to it. Since you will have to select what y’all include in your statement, the choices you make are oftentimes an indication of your judgment.
Don’t include some subjects
- At that place are sure things all-time left out of personal statements. For example, references to experiences or accomplishments in high school or before are generally not a practiced idea. Don’t mention potentially controversial subjects (for example, controversial religious or political issues).
Do some inquiry, if needed
- If a school wants to know why you’re applying to it rather than another school, do some enquiry to discover out what sets your choice apart from other universities or programs. If the school setting would provide an important geographical or cultural change for you lot, this might exist a factor to mention.
Write well and correctly
- Be meticulous. Type and proofread your essay very carefully. Many admissions officers say that expert written skills and command of correct use of language are of import to them as they read these statements. Limited yourself conspicuously and concisely. Attach to stated word limits.
- A medical schoolhouse applicant who writes that he is expert at science and wants to help other people is not exactly expressing an original thought. Stay away from often-repeated or tired statements.
For more information on writing a personal statement, meet the personal argument vidcast.
What is the Typical Recommended Length of a Personal Statement